Honey...I'm home!


My favorite suggestions are: *Have a delicious dinner ready on time for his return.
*Prepare yourself. Touch up your make-up and be fresh looking.
*Be a litttle gay and a little more interesting for him.
*Don't complain if he's late. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair and have a cool drink waiting for him.
*Arrange his pillow and take his shoes off for him.
*Be happy to see him and eliminate all noise by children when he arrives. Have them cleaned and ready.
*Don't ask questions about his actions or question his judgment or integrity. He is the master. You have no right to question him.
*A good wife always knows her place.

I got this email from a sister-in-law...and saw it on good morning america...I wish you could read the article but it's not too small.(so I summed up the best...) I can email it to you though! I think it is too funny! I love the list of suggestions! I would have been the worst wife in 1955! Infact, I am not the best now! Josh was sick yesturday with some food illness. He stayed in bed all day and rested...and I think when he went to work today...I vented a little too much.

I wonder if it is my jealousy of him that he got to just lay in bed all day when he is sick...or the fact that his sickness only lasted a day when mine has been weeks and weeks...or maybe it is a combo of many things! Maybe I am a bad wife...but as Dr. Laura would say...too bad for him! You chose your spouse...now deal with your decision!

What is your least favorite thing about being a wife? I think for me it is the cooking part. I don't mind cooking, it is actually fun sometimes. If I had a menu planned each week...and knew what I was making each day...I don't think it would be so bad...but it is the thinking of "what should I make today?" that I really don't enjoy. I do however don't want you all to get the wrong idea...I do love Josh, and being a wife...and esp. a mother...but can't I just complain a little today?

13 comments:

Wendy said...

I think it takes all day to accomplish the things they suggest you should have in order when "hubbie" arrives, and by the time you get through the list the first three are out of order again. No wonder we all gave up on the ideal. ANd I'm sorry but if DH does not come home at night I am gonna ask where he was! :)

Rodela Family said...

Ok, I love that article. I think it is hilarious and I am with you, I would be the worst wife ever in 1955 - in fact, I would be even now. As to something I hate about being a wife, I can't say a whole lot b/c I'm not into cooking/cleaning but I would have to say I hate having to make a decisions with someone, not just what I want. That's something I am trying to get over!

Mary Ellen said...

Well I would have not even been married in 1955 with that kind of standard! I made a very important decision 6 years ago when I was in school and expecting my first baby and I've never regretted it and it has saved my marriage....I hired a housekeeper. With every move, priority number 1 has been to find a new one ASAP.

That's funny about the 1 day sickness. Do a search on YouTube for "The Man Cold" It's hilarious.

JN Designs said...

I truly believe there is a reason I was born now. I so cannot bow down and be a slave to my husband. That article is great!!! I wonder how many women back then were really like that??

Nathan and Lesly said...

The last time Nathan was sick (which was a couple of weeks ago) he told me I was mad at him for being sick. Well, he called in sick to work and sat all day (for 3 days)on the couch. I told him moms don't get to call in sick and sit on the couch. Based on the comments of your post our group of women would have been the beginning of the feminist movement! I would have been on the front lines!

CHELSEY said...

Hmm..not that I agree with this, or maybe that I do in some areas, but not for the 'male chovenistic' reasons.....I have maybe had things in order once in my life when Dave came home...and man did that feel great!! I think it really was about me doing my job tho, rather than being a husband-servant;)

You can totally complain here...I'll always listen!. I hate the planning of cooking too.

Anonymous said...

I am completely with you on the "what's for dinner?" I tried the menu thing last month and loved it! I just need to keep it up! It seriously helps so much! That is funny stuff though... Maybe I will work on some things, our honeys deserve a good wife after all they do for us!

Shauna said...

I have moments like this too. I love this article. Everytime I read it I think, was this really for real? All I can say as men were sure lucky back then to be waited on hand & foot. Brittanny thanks again for letting Adalyn play over at your house before you left. It helped me out so much & I appreciated your kindness. It is so funny, Adalyn keeps saying "My friend Annelise has a REALLY big car mom & I got to ride in it." She told Ben & I that we need to get a big car like her friend Annelise. Needless to say she was impressed by your car. I miss seeing you guys as well but I know we will keep in touch. Will you e-mail me your home address so that I can write it in my address book? Thanks. Oh, and as far as the whole wife thing, I hate doing dishes. I am not sure why but I dread them everyday.

Connie said...

There is no way I could be that kind of wife! The one thing I hate most about being a wife/mother, would have to be - when I see a mess, I am not satisfied until it is cleaned up. When my hubby (or kids) see a mess, they don't seem to care about it at all. It could sit there for DAYS and they still wouldn't mind it. So I end up cleaning up most of the messes because I'm the only one who cares.

Emily said...

Wow - can you believe how much our priorities have changed over the years? I remember my Grandma doing a lot of these things, but it makes me uptight just to look at that list. I could maybe do that for about a week before I was mad at the world. Thanks for the post!

Elisha said...

OK, so my brother sends me that e-mail every so often just so I don't forget what a "typical housewife" should be like! I won't tell you my response to him (this IS a family blog). I am so glad my best friend is now reminding me too! lol

azHarline said...

This is so funny. I don't think that I would have made it back then. I must say that Brandon cleans so much more than I do. I can't stand to clean. Although I do enjoy cooking a lot more than when we first were married. We have done the menu thing since we were married and I think it works wonders. I change it up every couple of months to ensure that we don't get bored.

Katie said...

I too would have been the worst wife back then! Some days I'm not that great now. It's a lot of work and us women get exausted too! And we can't call in sick and lay in bed all day! Venting is good. Vent and move on.